If the match produces a result, the winner will walk away with the Border Gavaskar Trophy.
While that is the big prize that both teams will fight tooth and nail for, there are multiple individual milestones that are also approaching and can be crossed in the Test at the Gabba.
Here’s a comprehensive look at all the personal milestones that are approaching for players in both teams and can possibly be crossed in the Brisbane Test:
* Cheteshwar Pujara needs 88 runs to complete 1000 runs against Australia in Australia. He has 912 runs in 10 Tests (19 innings) to his name so far
* Pujara needs 188 runs also to complete 2000 runs in the Border-Gavaskar series. The Saurashtra batsman has played 19 Tests (35 innings) and scored 1812 runs at an average of 54.90, including 5 centuries and 9 fifties so far in the bilateral series
* Stand in India captain Ajinkya Rahane needs 177 runs to complete 1000 runs against Australia in Australia. He has 823 runs in 11 Tests (21 innings) to his name so far
* Rahane meanwhile also has 2917 Test runs, batting overseas, in 41 Tests (73 innings). He is 83 runs behind the landmark of 3000 Test runs overseas
* Rahane also needs just 78 runs to complete 1000 runs in the ICC World Test Championships. The right-hander has 922 runs in 12 matches (20 innings) to his name so far
* Rohit Sharma needs 106 runs to complete 1000 Test runs batting overseas. He has 894 runs in 19 Tests (35 innings) while batting overseas so far
* R Ashwin needs 11 wickets to complete 100 wickets against Australia (overall). He has claimed 89 wickets in 18 Tests vs the Aussies so far
* Ashwin also needs 11 wickets to complete 50 wickets against Australia in Australia. He has 39 wickets in 10 Tests so far Down Under
* The Brisbane Test will be Nathan Lyon’s 100th Test match for Australia. He will become the 13th Australian to play 100 or more Tests for the country
* Lyon also needs 4 wickets to complete 400 Test scalps. He has 396 wickets in 99 Tests so far. He is currently the third-highest Test wicket-taker for Australia after Shane Warne (708 wickets) and Glenn McGrath (563 wickets)
* Josh Hazlewood needs 5 wickets to complete 50 wickets against India (overall). He has 45 Test wickets against India in 14 matches so far
* Mitchell Starc needs 10 wickets to complete 50 wickets against India in Tests. He currently has 40 wickets in 14 Tests against India
* Tim Paine needs 168 runs to complete 1000 runs as an Australian Test captain. He has 832 runs to his name in 22 Tests (35 innings) so far as skipper.