NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday virtually laid the foundation stone of the ‘Light House Projects‘ for building around 1,000 houses each at six sites across six states.
Residences under Light House Projects will take less time to construct, will be more resilient, affordable and comfortable, the Prime Minister said.
Here are key things to know about the project:
* Houses for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) are being built under the project to provide shelter to the urban poor using green construction technology.
* Under the announced projects, the government will be building over 1,000 houses each in six cities – Indore, Chennai, Ranchi, Agartala, Lucknow and Rajkot.
* These six projects will give a new direction to housing projects in the country. It has strengthened cooperative federalism: PM Modi
* Affordable Sustainable Housing Accelerators-India (ASHA-India) program is being run in the country to promote research and startups in modern housing technology: PM
* The projects showcase the best of new-age alternative global technologies, materials and processes in the construction sector for the first time in the country at such a large scale, the government has said.
(With inputs from agencies)