Kevadiya station: Recently, Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off eight new trains to Kevadiya and inaugurated the 18 km long broad gauge (BG) converted rail line from Dabhoi to Chandod, a 32 km long new rail line from Chandod to Kevadiya, an 80 km long newly electrified Pratapnagar – Kevadiya section, the new station buildings of Dabhoi Junction, Chandod as well as Kevadiya through video conferencing. The newly built Kevadiya station is the country’s first railway station with a green building certification by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) since its inception. According to the Railway Ministry, some of the features of the new Kevadiya railway station are as follows:
- The Kevadiya station has been registered with the Indian Green Building Council for being the country’s first railway station to be certified as a ‘Green Building’ by IGBC ever since the inception of its construction
- The railway station is equipped with LED lights and star rated branded electrical appliances in order to save electricity.
- The station also has water management arrangements through rainwater harvesting, sewage treatment plant, eco-waterless urinals, as well as drip irrigation. The segregated green waste at the source will be reused to produce fertilizer and reduce waste
- The first two levels of the station have passenger facilities such as air-conditioned (AC) waiting rooms and a VVIP lounge.
- The third level of the station houses a viewing gallery from where tourists can view the Statue of Unity and a tribal art gallery is also being developed.
- A 12 feet tall replica of the ‘Statue of Unity’ is installed at the prime location of the railway station’s circulating area.
- The surrounding area of the station has vast parking space, landscaping, thematic park, solar light poles, a traffic way, horticulture plants, a thematic park with selfie zone, food courts, and a children’s play area.