GPS based toll collection: Physical toll booths to be removed, GPS-based collection within 1 year, says Nitin Gadkari | India Business News

2021-03-18 10:53:00

NEW DELHI: Union transport minister Nitin Gadkari on Thursday informed that all physical toll booths in the country will be removed and collections will happen via GPS-based system.
Addressing the Lok Sabha during Question Hour, Gadkari said that in the next one year India will implement a complete GPS-based toll collection mechanism where money would be collected based on GPS imaging on vehicles.
With FASTag becoming mandatory for vehicles, the minister has instructed police inquiry for those vehicles which do not pay toll.

Gadkari noted that 93 per cent of the vehicles pay toll using FASTag, but the remaining 7 per cent have still not taken it despite paying a double toll.
“I want to assure the House that within one year all physical toll booths in the country will be removed. It means that toll collection will happen via GPS. The money will be collected based on GPS imaging (on vehicles),” he said.
FASTags, which facilitate electronic payment of fee at toll plazas, was introduced in 2016.
From February 16, vehicles without FASTag are required to pay double toll fee at electronic toll plazas across the country.

Besides, Gadkari also unveiled the much-awaited vehicle scrappage policy.
The policy will offer about 5 per cent rebate to those buying new cars if they junk their old vehicles.
Listing the incentives, Gadkari said scrap value for the old vehicle given by the scrapping centre will be approximately 4-6 per cent of ex-showroom price of a new vehicle.
The state governments may be advised to offer a road tax rebate of up to 25 per cent for personal vehicles and up to 15 per cent for for commercial vehicles, he said.

Source link

Leave a Reply